Modals4: dovere level3

a very brief overlook to this plain boring verb :)

« Older   Newer »

1. matteo tironi

User deleted

Hi guys, and welcome back to Easy Peasy Italian :)

today, we will be starting a new topic in......what did you say?
    I should do the last modal before moving on? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeell, I suppose I should.
    But you know, I had already written the whole thing when my laptop crashed on me and I don't really feel like rewriting it all right now.
    I know, I should take this thing more seriously but..... well, you'll have to wait for me to having got over it. Still, as I would kind of feel bad if I left you clueless, I'll add a super brief recap here.

So, dovere (etymology unknown) expresses all the kinds of duties, but it comes with a variant:

1) if the duty is certain and not just theoretical, well, then you use the indicative mood (have to, be to, must).
    e.g.

I must tell him that= devo dirglielo
    I have to be there by 2.30 pm= devo essere là per le due e mezza del pomeriggio.
    Stundents are to leave the room clean= gli studenti devono lasciare la stanza pulita.

It doesn't really matter what kind of obligation you're trying to convey (whether it is due to your personal beliefs, laws, the context and so forth), it's always dovere.
    Moreover, dovere in the indicative mood is used to express deductions:

deve essere lui= it must be him

just like in English.

2)if the duty is uncetain, theoretical, or just a suggestion (be supposed to, be expected to, should), then the verb has to be in the conditional mood.

Customers are expected to tip waiters= I clienti dovrebbero lasciare la mancia ai camerieri.
    The train is supposed to arrive at 6.50 pm= il treno dovrebbe arrivare alle 6.50pm.
    You shouldn't tell him that= non dovresti dirglielo.

It's always the same verb in Italian. Still if you want to point out that something is not a suggestion but rather an expectation, you can add certain adverbs (mainly in teoria/ teoricamente), but this isn't really necessary.

Ok so this is it. I don't think I could say much more about dovere, it is just a plain verb doing is duty :)
    ok, I will end this article like this, and will start the new series in the next article.
    From now, we will be dealing with: confusing words, how to tell the difference.
    Do you like this topic? I would, if I were you ;) our first group of confusing words will be bene vs. buono vs. bello.
    I've seen A LOT of mistakes made by foreigners on the net, therefore I thought this up.
    Moreover, the article will come with some idioms using these three words.
    Till next time :)

0 replies since 27/10/2014, 17:09   3 views